Diaspora why you should file your KRA RETURNS by 30th june
The Kenya revenue Authority recommends all Kenyans even those living abroad to file their returns even if they do not earn any income.
You have until 30th June 2020 to file your 2019 tax returns otherwise a fine of 2000 Kenya shilling par year is applied for non failure to file even for diasporans.
A tax compliance certificate might be requested when buying land, applying for a passport, opening business etc
Kenyans arriving from abroad might be asked to fill a tax compliance form to ensure they are up to date with their tax returns declaration, according to KRA.
For all Kenyans living abroad who don’t earn income (rent, dividends, land…) in Kenya can avoid filling returns every year by making their KRA Pin dormant.
You can make your KRA PIN dormant for the time period you are living abroad and whenever you return to Kenya or start earning an income in Kenya, you can activate it.
How to apply for PIN dormancy
- Login into system with PIN.
- Click on e-Dormance link from menu for opening e-Payment Registration Form.
- Select Applicant Type
- Enter Taxpayer PIN if Applicant Type is “Agent, Legal Representative and Next to Kin” is selected and Based on Taxpayer PIN Taxpayer Obligation get auto populated.
- Select Tax Obligation.
- Select Effective from date with respect to selected Tax Obligation.
- Enter Effective to Date with respect to selected Tax Obligation.
- Select Reason for Dormance.
- If Reason “Other” is selected then enter descriptive reason.
- Click on Submit button to submit the data.
- Click on Back button to go to Home page.